The Solomon Islands branch of Live & Learn Environmental Education is an NGO that was registered locally under the Charitable Trust Act (13 of 1999). The organisation was started to provide information to and build awareness within schools and communities about the environment and its impacts on people’s lives. 2009 was a major growth period for Live & Learn, with new projects leading to an increase in size and capacity of the organisation. In November 2015 Live & Learn Environmental Education was official registered as Live & Learn Solomon Islands.
Live & Learn’s vision is for a sustainable and equitable world free from poverty.
Live & Learn educates, mobilises communities, and facilitates supportive partnerships in order to foster a greater understanding of sustainability, and to help move towards a sustainable future.
Live & Learn aims to:
- encourage individual and community attitudes, values and actions that are ethical and sustainable
- encourage networks and partnerships between schools, children, youth, teachers, governments, chiefs, elders, parents, the media and non-governmental organisations (NGOs)
- share knowledge, skills, learning experiences and resources with others for the benefit of the physical and human environment
- promote the integration of the concepts of human rights, environmentalism, humanitarianism, culture, gender equality and peace in all projects and programs
- promote action-based, effective and creative learning models and teaching methodologies.