Water and Sanitation (WASH) Engineer
Closing Date: 26 May 2019
Interview: 28 & 29 June 2019
Pre-departure Briefing: 17-20 July 2019
Expected Start Date: 19-29 August 2019
Assignment Number: 41183
Duration: 18 months
Location: Tongatapu and ‘Eua, Tonga
- Put your engineering skills to use in Tonga
- Provide technical support to tertiary graduates and water technicians
- Support the development and implementation of WASH facilities
Live and Learn Tonga is working with communities towards the recovery of Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) facilities following Cyclone Gita in early 2018. It is currently in a state of transition from one small WASH programme to many, across more than 40 communities.
In this role you’ll work alongside local tertiary graduates and village water technicians to develop and build WASH facilities. You’ll provide assistance on ensuring facilities are built to best-practice standards, as well as robust enough to withstand future environmental risks. Key to this role will be providing on-the-job training to ensure the ongoing sustainability of the facilities.
Although you’ll be based in Nuku’alofa for this 18-month assignment, you’ll travel frequently and work with each of the 40 communities in Tongatapu and ‘Eua.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Bachelor’s degree in water engineering, civil engineering, environmental health or a related field
- Knowledge and/or experience in designing and constructing WASH facilities
- Knowledge and/or experience in operations and maintenance of WASH facilities
- Experience in staff development
- Experience in mentoring/training