Policy Adviser (Agriculture and Fisheries)
Closing Date: 14 Apr 2019
Interview: 24 & 25 May 2019
Pre-departure Briefing: 17-20 July 2019
Expected Start Date: 19-29 August 2019
Assignment Number: 40940
Duration: 1 year
Location: Apia, Samoa
The agricultural sector remains paramount for food security, good nutrition, prosperity and resilience in the face of climate change and associated natural disasters. Samoa’s focus on the agriculture and fisheries sectors’ productivity is increasing and production quality needs to be consistently high to ensure products are competitive in both the domestic and international markets. To deliver on this, Samoa needs to improve policy capability within the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF) to support government agricultural and export outcomes.
The assignment is based in The Policy Communication Division at MAF. In this assignment you will deliver structured training to staff in the areas of policy, monitoring, strategy development and implementation to support agricultural export outcomes. You will also work alongside MAF staff to ensure they are using new agricultural and fisheries policies to deliver the Agricultural Sector Plan 2016-2020.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- A degree in agriculture, agribusiness, economics or a related field
- 5 years’ experience reviewing, analysing and developing agricultural policies
- Demonstrated ability to undertake research and provide recommendations to develop/support policies for agricultural development
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train staff in policy development
- Strong verbal and written communication skills