Maths Education Mentor
Closing Date: 22 Sep 2019
Interview: 18 & 19 October 2019
Pre-departure Briefing: 20 - 23 November 2019
Expected Start Date: Jan or Feb 2020
Assignment Number: 41075
Duration: 6 months
Location: Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
In PNG, roughly 30 percent school-aged children are not in school; 44 percent of the population is illiterate, and only only a small percentage of adults have secondary education. In an effort to improve education indicators, the government introduced Tuition Fee Free (TFF) education policy, enabling universal free access to education. Access to free education is not enough if the overall quality of education is below standard, resulting in poor quality educational outcomes. For these reasons, VSA is working alongside Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (OLSH) International School (independent Catholic school) offering quality and affordable faith-based education to students (from Prep – Year 12).
The key driver of this assignment is to support teachers at OLSH to develop planning and delivery of mathematics lessons across all year levels as well as providing effective instruction techniques and engaging teaching practices to deliver quality mathematics lessons and quality education outcomes for students.
How you will make an impact:
- Develop lesson plans and assessment practices
- Conduct workshops on developing effective mathematics programmes
- Support the professional development of mathematics teachers through effective mentoring and coaching practices
- Model effective teaching and learning of mathematics and provide professional supervision and leadership where appropriate
Drawing on your experience you will help develop capacity through mentoring and coaching teachers, building their confidence to develop workshops and pass these skills onto others.
Through your transference of knowledge and skills you will strengthen and promote evidence-based high-quality teaching, learning and assessment practices.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- A tertiary level teaching qualification
- 3+ years’ experience teaching mathematics in primary and/or secondary schools
- Good communication skills with the ability to coach and mentor teachers to improve their performance
- Experience creating and implementing lesson plans in accordance with the curriculum
- Experience assessing student attainment and presenting strategies to address performance gaps
- A love of mathematics and desire to ignite and instill the same in teachers and students