Literacy and English Language Instructor
Closing Date: 09 Feb 2020
Interview: 20 - 21 March
Pre-departure Briefing: 27 - 31 May
Expected Start Date: 15 - 26 June
Assignment Number: 41182
Duration: 10 months
Location: Kokopo, Papua New Guinea
- Volunteer Service Abroad covers costs while you are on assignment, including travel, accommodation, living allowance and more
Papua New Guinea has placed greater emphasis on education in recent years, with more schools opening and fees reduced. However, the country still faces a significant teacher shortage, and many children never complete Primary School. Figures show that 44 percent of the population are illiterate. In response to this the Papua New Guinea government has made education one of its top priorities.
St. Peter Chanel Catholic College of Secondary Education is a newly established and innovative teacher training institution. The College is looking to grow and strengthen the literacy and English language of their teachers. This assignment will not only have a significant impact on the teachers at the College but will also contribute to better education in PNG.
This role involves working collaboratively with staff to review current teaching practices, helping to improve instructional materials or resources and delivery strategies as needed. You will also provide mentoring to St Peter Chanel teaching staff to support teachers to improve their English language teaching, learning and assessment practices. VSA assignments provide a unique opportunity for professional development by sharing your skills to build thriving communities in the Pacific and beyond.
The successful candidate will provide expert knowledge in the development and improvement of Literacy and Language Education programmes across broad areas. Excellent communication skills combined with patience and flexibility will also be important for success in this role.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Relevant teaching qualification and teaching experience (preferably in secondary school/tertiary education)
- Demonstrated experience in teaching English as a second/foreign language
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to coach and mentor teachers to improve their teaching practice, and performance
- Ability to review, recommend and monitor improvements to teaching processes and practices