Hydrogeologist (groundwater) Adviser
Closing Date: 04 Feb 2018
Interview: 9 & 10 March 2018
Pre-depature Briefing: 9 to 12 May 2018 (dependent on availability of course places)
Expected Start Date: Mid 2018
Assignment Number: 40870
Duration: 1 to 2 years
Location: Port Vila, Vanuatu
Share your expertise with the Department of Water Resources to strengthen hydrogeological capability and support community resilience to water-related risks.
Approximately 70% of the rural population is reliant on rainwater harvesting systems to meet daily water needs; this exposes the population to significant climate risks such low rainfall and drought.
In this dynamic assignment you will be working as part of dedicated team to investigate groundwater supplies, develop a water information database and model, and design effective solutions. You will provide training and mentoring support to build technical WASH skills of department staff, which will enable them to confidently manage groundwater and WASH activities.
Working in collaboration with Engineers Without Borders New Zealand, this exciting assignment offers you an opportunity to make a real impact on the water sector in Vanuatu.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Bachelor’s degree in geology, earth sciences, hydrogeology, environmental science, engineering discipline with emphasis on hydrology or hydrogeology
- At least five years’ relevant experience in hydrogeology
- Experience in hydrogeological investigations, including the ability to design and manage groundwater and environmental field investigation programmes
- Experience in providing on-the- job training and mentoring
- Experience in groundwater modelling
- Experience in groundwater well design and construction contract administration