Closing Date: 10 Mar 2019
Interview: 5 & 6 April 2019
Pre-departure Briefing: 1-4 May 2019
Expected Start Date: 12-18 May
Assignment Number: 40895
Duration: 1-year (flexible)
Location: Arawa, Bougainville
Share your technical knowledge and support Arawa Fresh Produce Ltd research the feasibility of increased agricultural produce trading and manufacturing within Bougainville.
Established in 2016, Arawa Fresh Produce (AFP) is purchasing high-grade cocoa, paying premium prices for premium quality, and helping to connect coffee and pepper growers with buyers through improved market access. AFP is now seeking the support of a Food Technologist to assess the feasibility of initiating and sustaining value-added production of products they already purchase and the practicality of buying and selling other products currently grown in Bougainville.
If the feasibility study proves positive, you will also provide advice in how to scale-up production, including basic equipment and facility requirements, processing methods, quality assurance, and health & safety standards.
Bougainville produces approximately 1/3 of PNG’s cocoa and many diverse crops (vanilla, turmeric, canarium nut etc.). However, currently, there is no home-grown processing of these crops or cocoa, and many farmers do not receive premium prices for their high-grade cocoa.
This assignment offers an exciting opportunity to share your technical skills, potentially initiate a home-grown processing industry and support community development by connecting many more farmers with markets.
*Arawa Fresh Produce Ltd is flexible in relation to assignment duration. For the right person, the assignment could consist of short-term visits with an e-volunteering component (e.g. two 1 month visits over 12 months), or alternatively, a longer 18-month assignment for the right person.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Relevant qualification in food science/technology, nutrition, chemistry or related discipline
- Experience working as a food technician or nutritionist (in a manufacturing /quality assurance environment)
- Ability to assess what new food products will fill gaps in local markets
- Ability to compile instruction sheets or recipes (production, quality control, health & safety) Understanding of how to abide by prescribed quality standards (national or international)
- Experience in providing training and/or practical demonstrations to groups