Education in Emergencies Adviser
Closing Date: 26 May 2019
Interview: 28 & 29 June 2019
Pre-departure Briefing: 17-20 July 2019
Expected Start Date: 19-29 August 2019
Assignment Number: 41087
Duration: 2 years
Location: Port Vila, Vanuatu
Vanuatu is the most vulnerable country in the world to natural disasters, so ensuring that services are resilient is vital. In this educational emergency management assignment, you will support The Ministry of Education and Training (MoET) and Save the Children to provide better education information dissemination during and after emergencies, ensuing stronger coordination between the MoET, Provincial Education Office and other education stakeholders.
Working alongside the Education in Emergencies (EIE) coordinator and stakeholders you will provide technical advice and assistance within MoET and the provinces to plan and implement high quality EIE activities for Vanuatu. This will ensure continuous access to quality, basic education for all school-age children in times of an emergency, with a focus on coordination and information management.
As well as developing and managing relationships locally you will liaise with agencies at national level to co-ordinate emergency preparedness and build capacity through training provincial stakeholders on EIE.
To be successful in this assignment, you will take an innovative and pragmatic approach to your work. Undaunted by working with minimal resources you will maximise every opportunity, leveraging relationships to ensure positive and sustainable educational outcomes following an event of a disaster.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Tertiary level degree and/or significant experience in education, social studies, emergency management or a related field
- Five years’ experience designing/implementing Education in Emergencies, School based Disaster Risk Reduction and/or Comprehensive School Safety programmes at national level, including experience in an emergency setting
- Strong understanding of Education in Emergency (EIE), Disaster Risk Reduction, Comprehensive school Safety & Climate Change Adaptation
- Experience conducting/analyzing needs assessments and managing data
- Experience conducting capacity building interventions through on-the-job coaching and workshop training delivery