Closing Date: 14 Apr 2019
Interview: 24 & 25 May 2019
Pre-departure Briefing: 17-20 July 2019
Expected Start Date: 19-29 August 2019
Assignment Number: 41099
Duration: 12 - 18 months
Location: Honiara, Solomon Islands
Work with the Solomon Islands National Statistics Office (SINSO) to achieve its working vision of a dynamic government statistical agency, fulfilling its mission to provide timely, relevant and accurate statistics within a responsive national statistical service.
SINSO’s aim is to collect, process, analyse and disseminate core official statistics for the purposes of policy, planning, decision-making and public debate. You’ll support SINSO to improve its range and quality of statistics, and help strengthen its technical capacity through the analysis and dissemination of official statistics to inform policy and improve lives.
The key aim of this assignment will be to strengthen the National Statistical System of the Solomon Islands. This will enable a regular and consistent flow of timely, relevant and vital socio-economic and related statistics to support evidence-based policies and plans, and inform decision-making.
As the ideal candidate, you will engage in providing support to SINSO in the improvement of the range and quality of statistics, which it provides. You will also assist in the improvement of their technical capabilities.
Another key aspect of this role will be to Support the National Statistics Development Strategy Secretariat in the compilation and release of Sustainable Development Goals Indicators. This will ensure that they meet international reporting obligations.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- A degree in statistics, mathematics, science, economics, demography or equivalent
- A minimum of one years’ experience in business analysis or data analysis and interpretation
- Data processing skills, including application of computer software (e.g. Stata/SPSS, CSPRO, R etc.)
- Problem solving skills in resolving data issues and data gaps
- Data analytics skills, especially in developing creative and unique data solutions
- Experience communicating data and related narratives to a diverse audience
- Ability to conduct on-the-job training in data analysis