Business Association Adviser (Buka)
Closing Date: 26 May 2019
Interview: 28 & 29 June 2019
Pre-departure Briefing: 17-20 July 2019
Expected Start Date: 19-29 August 2019
Assignment Number: 41173
Duration: 1 year
Location: Buka, Bougainville
- Play a key role in building institutional capacity
- Be part of a community with a unique and rich history
- Volunteer service abroad covers cost while you are on assignment, including travel, accommodation, living allowance and more.
The Autonomous Region of Bougainville is located in the north east of mainland Papua New Guinea. Bougainville offers a diverse variety of geographic features that includes a beautiful coastline, thick forest and towering mountains. Bougainville also possesses a rich culture and history.
VSA assignments provide a unique opportunity for professional development by sharing your skills to build thriving communities in the Pacific and beyond. VSA began working in the Autonomous Region of Bougainville (Bougainville) in 1998 with a programme that focused upon reconstruction efforts and responding to immediate post-conflict needs. Today, VSA volunteers work alongside the Autonomous Bougainville Government (ABG), the private sector, and international and national non-government organisations.
This role is based in Buka Town which is located on Buka Island. Buka Town is the hub of the island and is the administrative centre of Bougainville and the location of the Autonomous Bougainville Government (ABG).
This assignment will require you to work alongside the Department of Economic Development (DED) to ensure that business associations within Buka have improved institutional capacity. The ideal candidate will have relevant experience in developing fundamental business documents such as a strategic plan, budget and annual work plan. You will assist the business association in Bougainville to identify and understand key issues that they face and support in conducting research to develop an advocacy position.
The successful candidate will be able to provide mentoring, coaching, training and support. More specifically, you will be involved in mentoring associations in the marketing of their services.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Training/qualification in a relevant discipline e.g. business studies/administration, economics or institutional development
- Experience providing business know-how training and/or running a business
- Experience providing organisational/institutional strengthening
- Experience supporting/working with business associations and/or the private sector groups
- Excellent advocacy, stakeholder engagement and stakeholder mapping skills