Business Adviser - Agriculture
Closing Date: 26 May 2019
Interview: 28 & 29 June 2019
Pre-departure Briefing: 17-20 July 2019
Expected Start Date: 19-29 August 2019
Assignment Number: 41082
Location: Salelologa, Savai'i, Samoa
The Savai’i Coconut Farmers Association (SCFA) became the first producer organisation in Samoa to gain Fairtrade certification in 2013. In partnership with its local buyer Krissy Co. and Fairtrade ANZ, SCFA is reviving the export coconut cream industry in Samoa while increasing members’ income.
In this assignment you’ll build on the work of a previous VSA volunteer to help SCFA’s members adopt a more business-minded approach to farming. Day-to-day work will include spending time in the field working with farmers to improve their soil fertility and promote replanting of new trees. You will also instil confidence in SCFA’s leadership team to sustainably run the association through on-going management support and mentoring.
Ultimately, you will support SCFA to operate independently as a Fairtrade certified producer organisation without reliance on its buyer or support organisations.
You’ll be based in Salelologa on the island of Savai’i for 12 months with the opportunity to extend further by mutual agreement.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Experience in small business management (particularly agriculture or horticulture)
- Experience in sustainable, small business growth planning and development
- Experience in facilitation and training
- Experience working in soil fertility and crop production
- Experience using organic farming practices and knowledge of composting