Facility Management Adviser
Closing Date: 27 Oct 2019
Interview: 29 & 30 November 2019
Pre-departure Briefing: 22 - 25 January 2020
Expected Start Date: February or March 2020
Assignment Number: 41108
Duration: One year (with one year extension available)
Location: Honiara, Solomon Islands
- Are you looking for an opportunity to transform your life and the lives of others?
- Use your experience in Facilities Management to support local government
- Contribute to youth engagement in the Solomon Islands
- VSA covers costs while you are on assignment, including travel, accommodation, living allowance and more
Honiara City Council manages a multi-purpose hall used for training, sport and cultural events.
The hall is being upgraded by the New Zealand Aid Programme of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade to provide improved spaces for Solomon Islanders to engage in sports, arts, youth and cultural activities. This is in demand to the increasing youth population in Honiara. The upgrade of the hall is expected to be complete mid-2020 and the larger facility will need improved management systems.
The volunteer will develop and implement a maintenance plan, including cleaning, waste management, grounds keeping, and site security. Your focus will be ensuring scheduled maintenance is carried out regularly, to a high standard and in the most cost-effective and sustainable way possible. You will build capacity within the organisation by supporting staff to improve their skills in engaging contractors, negotiating contracts and maintaining standards.
Working closely with the Facilities Management Adviser and other staff members you will also support the Council with developing a booking system and financial management system that will allow them better oversight of their expenditure and event organisation.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Experience managing facility operations and knowledge of purchasing, supplies, grounds keeping and equipment repair
- Experience developing and/or implementing a suitable facility booking management system
- Strong communication and relationship management skills
- Good understanding of the commercial environment and a strong awareness of customer satisfaction
- Experience mentoring others
- Analytical skills to assess needs and budgets