Agribusiness Development Mentor
Closing Date: 09 Feb 2020
Interview: 20 - 21 March
Pre-departure Briefing: 27 - 31 May
Expected Start Date: 15 - 26 June
Assignment Number: 41074
Duration: One year (With the option to extend by mutual agreement)
Location: Arawa, Bougainville
- Use your Agricultural/Small business knowledge in Bougainville
- Grow your professional and personal experience in this emerging island nation
- VSA covers costs while you are on assignment, including travel, accommodation, living allowance and more.
Bougainville consists of two large islands and is home to a population of approximately 200,000 people. There are twenty-one distinct languages, eight sub-languages, and 39 dialects. There is also considerable cultural diversity between locations making it a rich and interesting place to discover. The people of Bougainville are extremely resilient. Having emerged from a decade of conflict they are now focused on becoming a peaceful, strong, independent nation.
Part of this positive future is delivering a ‘just, safe, secure and free Bougainville’ and this responsibility lies with the Department of Police and the Correctional and Justice Services.
Mabri Juvenile Rehabilitation Centre (MJRC) focuses on practice such as restorative justice that involves both the family and the community in a young person’s rehabilitation journey. They target the core issues contributing to the individual’s behavior, with the aim of working towards sustainable positive change in the juvenile’s behaviors and attitude.
The farming of pigs, chickens, and vegetables is currently underway on the land. This simultaneously feeds the juveniles as well as generating income to cover operational costs. In this assignment, you will work with the current staff to review current farming practices. You will advise ways to increase both the standard of animal husbandry and production, capacity building with the staff and expanding their knowledge in these areas. You will also seek new revenue streams by analysing the current market, economic environment and buying patterns.
This is a chance for an adventurous person with basic agricultural and animal husbandry knowledge, to put their experience into a much-needed area of development.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- Training/qualification in a relevant discipline e.g. business, economics, agriculture, development studies, or related area practical experience in agribusiness such as
- breeding, production, contracts, distribution, marketing, and sales
- Experience and knowledge of poultry or pigs, or other livestock production/care