Science Teacher Mentor
Closing Date: 09 March 2020
Location: PNG Bougainville
Category: Education & Training
- Use your teaching experience to improve science education in Bougainville
- Grow your professional and personal experience in this emerging island nation
Before the conflict, Bougainville had one of the top education systems in Papua New Guinea with high performing international and Catholic mission schools and technical training colleges. However, the conflict meant the loss of a large portion of educated adults and resulted in a “lost generation” of children who have not received any formal education at elementary, primary and secondary school levels.
Buin High School (BHS) was established in 1968 and teaches a range of subjects to 700 students aged 12-16. Despite Bougainville’s hardships it scores highly in Science on PNG National rankings and has a reputation for superior standards across AROB. Currently, only science theory is taught but there is an appetite for practical lab-based lessons to further improve and grow this subject.
In this assignment, you will work alongside the current staff at BHS to implement and support the development of a lab-based curriculum. You will provide on the job training, mentoring and design a set of lab protocols to raise the standards of lessons to ensure science students are receiving a well-rounded and enjoyable learning experience.
This is a rewarding chance for an adventurous professional to put their experience into a much-needed area of development.
We are looking for a volunteer with:
- A degree-level qualification in Science or a related subject
- At least two years’ experience teaching Science at intermediate/ secondary level
- Experience working in a school or university lab
- Experience including practical lab work into a curriculum
- The ability to mentor and coach others
VSA volunteers receive a living allowance and accommodation, insurance, and medical costs are provided. Travel arrangements are organised and funded by VSA along with other costs.