Pacific Manager – Vanuatu
Volunteer Service Abroad (VSA) sends skilled Kiwis on volunteer assignments to the wider Pacific and beyond to share their experience and knowledge directly with local people and communities. Working together with our regional neighbours, our volunteers create new opportunities for people that will ripple across communities for generations to come.
Pacific Manager – Vanuatu
Join the staff of VSA with this salaried position. As our Programme Manager based in Luganville (in Espiritu Santo), you'll be VSA's representative managing the delivery of a high quality international development programme within Vanuatu. A key responsibility of this overseas posting will be to set and lead the strategic direction of our Vanuatu programme, with oversight from VSA's Director International Development who is based in Wellington, New Zealand.
In this role, you'll draw on your expertise in relationship building to develop meaningful partnerships with local organisations. You will then identify ways in which VSA volunteers could contribute to upskilling those partner organisations to achieve their particular goals. You'll also provide guidance and support to individual VSA volunteers and will oversee their logistical support needs with local assistance from our in-country staff member who is also based in Luganville.
This overseas posting requires an experienced manager with an adventurous spirit, who enjoys a varied role and is excited by the opportunity to experience a different culture.
To be effective in this challenging and exciting role, you'll be a motivated self-starter with heaps of "can do" attitude and initiative, as well as having:
- Highly effective people management and leadership skills, including experience in problem-resolution, mentoring and coaching
- Management experience across a range of areas (especially strategic, finance and administration)
- Experience in developing, planning, coordinating and managing development programmes
- Proven interpersonal/relationship-building, communication and influencing skills
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline, or equivalent relevant expertise
- Sound understanding of development principles and the political, social, cultural and economic issues that are important to developing countries
- The ability to relate well to people from diverse cultural and social backgrounds
- Successful experience in living and/or working in a developing country, preferably in Melanesia or the Pacific.
A full employment package including airfares, furnished housing, utilities
subsidy, location grants, language training, and comprehensive expatriate insurance cover will be offered in addition to salary. The successful candidate will be expected to commit to their overseas posting for a minimum period of at least two years and ideally should be available to start in the role during early-mid January 2020.
If you are interested in the Programme Manager – Vanuatu position please click the APPLY NOW button. All applications will be acknowledged electronically.
Applications close at 5pm on Sunday, 20 October 2019 (or sooner if a suitable applicant is identified early on). For further information contact Michele Walls on 04 931 9448 or Jacaleen Williams on 04 931 9450 quoting job number 19203.
Only people with a current passport confirming New Zealand citizenship, or New Zealand permanent residency with a multiple re-entry permit, will be considered.
Alternatively, if this job sounds like you but you’re not available to start during January 2020 then VSA are keen to connect with you as a prospective candidate for a future vacancy in one of our other unique and rewarding Programme Manager roles. To register your interest for future consideration please click the REGISTER NOW button.