Director People Capability
Volunteer Service Abroad (VSA) sends skilled Kiwis to the Pacific and beyond to share their experience and knowledge directly with local people and communities. Working together with our regional neighbours, our volunteers create new opportunities for people that will continue to ripple across communities for generations to come.
Director People Capability
- Unique lead HR opportunity within the NGO sector
- Wellington based Senior Leadership Team role
- Lead the HR and Volunteer Services functions
Volunteer Service Abroad (VSA) sends skilled Kiwis on volunteer assignments to the wider Pacific and beyond to share their experience and knowledge directly with local people and communities. Working together with our regional neighbours, VSA volunteers create new opportunities for people that will ripple across communities for generations to come.
Faced with the current challenging and evolving environment, VSA is committed to continuing to build on its nearly 60 years of facilitating volunteering for development but with a fresh, new strategic approach. The organisation will become more agile, embracing greater diversity and innovation, and making a more resonant impact through its volunteers and enhanced partner relationships. This new approach, delivered through VSA people, will be key to the organisation’s future success – and this director-level role with its strong People Capability component is a pivotal contributor to that.
The role has responsibility for providing leadership across the organisation’s people practices, which includes leading the Human Resources function encompassing both employees and volunteers, and also leading the delivery of the Volunteer Services (recruitment and mobilisation) functions to ensure volunteers have a cohesive and engaged experience with VSA. As one of the leaders within the business, this role sits on the Senior Leadership team of the organisation. It works collaboratively to ensure VSA has the people capability and organisational culture necessary to be both an employer of choice and an organisation that is trusted to recruit and deploy quality volunteers who achieve positive development outcomes.
This is a rare, broad, and varied HR leadership role.
Aspects of this role will include:
- People leadership and development especially of a multi-functional team
- Operating and contributing at a senior leadership level
Leadership, development and delivery of the broad facets of HR
- Championing strategic organisational thinking about the future of the volunteer sector with a focus on trends, demographics and drivers
- Leading the recruitment, selection and mobilisation activities of volunteer support.
We're looking for a fresh, energised, contemporary thinker who offers:
- Proven and recent experience operating at senior level
- Best practice and well-rounded work experience across the full range of HR facets
- Excellence in their work and leads by example
- A strategic thinker who also understands what practical delivery should look like
- A people leader with experience managing the business requirements of their unit
- An understanding of the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi, bi and multi-culturalism.
The role is based in VSA’s Wellington office and is a truly great opportunity to work in a role which can directly enable the organisation’s employees and volunteers to make a difference through this pivotal time.
Interested and inspired people please do not delay. The time is right!! Let your creative talents come to life in your cover letter, visit the People&Co website to apply.
Applications will close at 5pm on Sunday, 28 February 2021.
For further information contact Michele Walls on (04) 931 9448 or Shawn Cornet on (04) 931 9461 quoting job number 19640.
To be eligible for consideration you must currently have the legal right to live and work in New Zealand.