The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Working through our offices in 18 countries and informed by deep local expertise and six decades of experience, the Foundation addresses the critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century by:
- strengthening governance
- expanding economic opportunity
- increasing environmental resilience
- empowering women
- promoting international cooperation
In Timor-Leste the Foundation focuses on four main areas that are critical to development.
- In the governance area the Foundation helps to develop the capacity of the Timor-Leste police through the community police support program. The project helps blend local dispute resolution with formal justice systems and bring citizens and police together in identifying and responding to safety and security challenges.
- To help empower women the Foundation works to end violence against women and children by providing grants to local service providers, NGOs providing prevention work, and supporting access to justice.
- To help foster economic opportunity the Foundation is working to build the non-oil economy through the tourism sector by advocating for evidence-based policy making, effective marketing, and the development of nature-based adventure tourism.
- The Foundation also works to build the capacity of civil society to monitor and improve government service delivery as well as to support local policy leaders by expanding access to information and the generation of local research.
Learn more about the foundation: