The Government of Samoa won the bid to host the 16th Pacific Games 2019 in September 2017. In April 2018, Parliament passed a legislation establishing the Office of the Pacific Games. The games will be held in July 2019.
The purpose of the Office of the Pacific Games is to ensure all venues are ready to host the Games and to successfully coordinate the event. The key objectives as stated in the Strategic Plan 2018-19:
- To provide a platform for athletes to compete in a world-class and technically compliant Pacific Games
- To create a safe, fun, and friendly Games environment
- To help our partners make the most of the opportunities presented by the Pacific Games
- To inspire and engage our communities in the power of sport to build our region
- To establish an evidence base that informs future sports development in Samoa
At a high-level the Office of the Pacific Games is the secretariat for the Games. Under the Office of the Pacific Games Act, there are two committees which are set up to assist in the work of coordinating the Games: The Games Organising Committee (OC) and the Executive Committee (EC).
The OC is made up 14 directors, the majority of who are CEOs from relevant government ministries that oversee a portfolio (e.g. Accommodation; Sports Venues; Security etc.). The EC consists of Cabinet Ministers (e.g. Minister of Finance; Minister of Revenue).
The Office of the Pacific Games project manages the entire Games event, influencing or providing advice relevant directors on either the EC or OC to action in their given portfolio.